Using Shingles on Commercial Structures
When we think about commercial structure roofing, flat roofing is what comes to mind – commercial roofing materials like EPDM, TPO, Modified Bitumen, PVC, and even metal roofing. Rarely, is commercial asphalt shingles thought of when it comes to a commercial structure. Yet not all commercial structures are 1000s of square feet needing the benefits of standard flat roofing materials.
Stand-alone doctor offices, lawyer offices, and other types of businesses are in structures similar to that of a residential property. These are where commercial asphalt shingles are needed, and like a residential property, there is a need for long-lasting, quality roofing materials. A commercial structure may have a flat or shingle roof, depending on the size of the structure. Either one can benefit from you knowing which type of roof will be your best investment.
What is the best type of shingles for roofing?
As a business owner or a commercial property owner, you want to know what roof shingles are the best. Roofing experts all agree that commercial asphalt shingles are the best in the industry for a commercial structure. They are the least expensive and have a long lifespan, which gives the building owner a high ROI. Commercial asphalt shingles need little to no maintenance, while many of the other types of flat roofing material require maintenance.
When one or two asphalt shingles come loose and blow off, they can be replaced easily. For a commercial structure purpose, most business and property owners will agree with the roofing experts that commercial asphalt shingles are an economical and viable investment.
What are the top-rated roofing shingles?
There are plenty of commercial asphalt shingle brands on the market, but which one is the best? We have listed five well-known brands here, each having great options for residential or commercial asphalt shingles.
- CertainTeed: Manufacturer of all things construction from roofs to fence to trim and insulation, everything in between and around. With their wide selection of roof shingle colors to match your commercial structure’s exterior isn’t a problem, from the slate look in 8 colors and more. With the architectural or luxury commercial asphalt shingles, you get a 50 year warranty for the life of the materials with a one time transfer.
- GAF: When it comes to residential or commercial asphalt shingles, they provide quality three tab, architectural, and luxury commercial asphalt shingles. However, their color and style options aren’t as diversified as CertainTeed. GAF also offers a 50 year warranty for the life of the materials and a non-prorated enhanced warranty for an entire roof system.
- Owens Corning: Owens in both residential and commercial asphalt shingles, Owens Corning manufactures quality three-tab, architectural, and luxury styles, including a 5-tab shingle. Their 50 year warranty for the life of the materials also comes with a non-prorated warranty when you have a complete roof system installed.
- Atlas: A commercial asphalt shingles product in architectural, three-tab, or luxury are just part of their offering. They offer five different types of architectural shingles in assorted colors and style, although not as extensive as the others.
- TAMKO: Along with residential and commercial asphalt shingles, Tamko offers waterproofing products, including cement, and coatings. They have little to offer in the way of commercial asphalt shingles but they do offer their own Metalworks, unique to this brand.
Can roof shingles be removed and reused?
Yes, both residential and commercial asphalt shingles are recyclable! The asphalt material can be taken directly to a recycling facility instead of a landfill. There, they are melted back down, reclaimed, and used again. Today, for a business to be conscious of recycling is important to their public image. Recycling their commercial asphalt shingles is a big step over most flat roofing materials today.
When should I replace my roof?
As a commercial property owner, when to repair roof shingles or replace the commercial asphalt shingle roof is a big decision. Just like with a flat roof structure, there are tax benefits and the possibility that repairing may be better than replacing.
Like residential shingles, commercial asphalt shingles can have a lifespan from 15 years to 30 years, depending on several factors. Those factors include the quality of the roofing material, the climate, and weather conditions.
Is there a 50-year shingle? Like any asphalt shingle, 50-year commercial asphalt shingles are not really a 50-year shingle, although they may last upwards of 50 years. However, while the product label states, “50 years”, you are likely to be replacing it within 40 years, or maybe even 30 years if the roof doesn’t receive proper maintenance.
The same is to be said about 20-year, 15-year, or 30-year commercial asphalt shingles too. It is rare that the full amount of time stated on the product label is what you’ll get. That is why for a commercial structure, getting commercial asphalt shingles that are flagged as 50 years is the better option.
It is also important to choose a roofing contractor that is experienced with commercial asphalt shingles. From choosing the shingles to installing the shingles, it is important to have experience. This is required by most shingle manufacturers as well. They can void any warranty if the commercial asphalt shingles were not installed by a certified, licensed roofing contractor.